2018-19 Bus Guidelines
Please read and discuss these bus guidelines with your child. If your child is a regular bus rider, a form will be sent home for you and your child to sign and return to school.
Parents/Guardians: GCSSD Bus/Student Guidelines
With a new safety law going into effect Jan 1, 2018, I thought it would be a good idea to let you know what is expected of your child while riding a School Bus. Please read the following guidelines with your child and make sure they fully understand what is expected of them on the school bus. After doing this, I ask that you and your child sign this form and return it to their homeroom teacher. Failure to comply with this request will result in your child not being allowed to ride the bus.
Chad Jackson, GCSSD Transportation Supervisor
Student Guidelines for riding a School Bus:
- There will be no profanity used on the bus at any time for any reason.
- Get seated as quickly as possible. Sit on your bottom facing the front at all times. Do not have your legs in the isle or be turned around looking over the back of seat.
- Do not be out of your seat while the bus is moving. Wait until the bus stops before going to the front to exit. Exit as quickly as possible.
- Keep your hands to yourself. Absolutely no horseplay or bullying will be tolerated.
- Do not get things out of your backpack. Pencils, paper, toys, etc. can wait until you get home.
- No eating or drinking on the bus. This is a state law! Buses can be taken off line due to food and candy being on the floor (it attracts insects). Your drivers should not have to continue to scrape food and candy off the floor.
- Keep the noise level to a minimum. You may talk to the person riding beside you but do not yell at someone sitting far away from you. Screams and loud noises are very distractive to the driver.
- Do not put anything out of the window. Keep your head and arms in the bus and do no throw anything out of a window.
- If you need to talk to the bus driver for a non-emergency, try to wait until the bus has stopped. If it is serious matter then get the attention of the bus driver as quickly as you can.
- Keep trash picked up and help the driver keep a clean bus. Take ownership in the bus you ride, it is your bus. If you see trash on the floor, pick it up on your way off and throw it away. Your driver will appreciate this very much.
- Follow the instructions of the driver at all times.
- Failure to follow these rules will result in the loss of the privilege to ride the bus.
**Also with this new safety law it is now a Class C Misdemeanor ($50.00 fine) if you are caught using any type of hand held electronic device while driving in a school zone. Please put your phones aside for just a few minutes when picking up or dropping off your children at school. Be very watchful for children in and around buses and other cars. Please make sure if your child drives to school that they are aware of this new law.